Friday 23 December 2011

Twas a week before Christmas

Hello again all, hope your preparations for Christmas are going well, mine certainly are, got all my wrapping done a few days ago, now just waiting for deployment. As a minor miracle, today it started snowing! Almost unheard of in Ebina, where it usually only snows in Jan-Feb, but today, I heard some pitter patters on my window, and there was snow landing on the pane! More like Sky dandruff, but there was a small layer of white specks on the ground, so I cna now say I'v had a semi white Christmas Eve!



This blog pretty much carries over from the previous one, where I left off as mentioning the JENESYS Festival. The JENESYS Program was enacted by a Japanese Prime Minister in 2007 (which one I can't remember, and they've had lots since, such is their current political situation), to bring students from east Asia and Oceania to Japan as a way of improving international relations between Japan and Asia/Oceania, and therefore promoting peace. The JENESYS scheme was for 5 years, with 2011 being the last year. Every year they had a festival to celebrate what had been done that year, but this year being the final, there was an especially large one. Aroun 1500 students, consisting of the 2 weekers, AFS students (both JENESYS students such as myself, plus 'regular' ones), as well as various teachers and volunteers, and dignitaries. This year was somewhat poingnant as well, because there were 200 Japanese High School Students from Tohoku, which was the region devastated by the earthquake and tsunami in March, and is still under a nuclear threat. Many of them had lost friends or family to the disaster, and others had their homes damaged or destroyed, as well as possessions, so was quite special to have them safe in Tokyo with us.



Lots of my AFS friends from around Japan had come to the festival, some were JENESYS students such as myself, and others were going on the Tokyo tour the next day, and so were having a long weekend in Tokyo. With the festival started, there was a procession of representatives from the JENESYS nations, all bearing their national flags, and in some cases, national clothing. There were speeches from the Head of AFS Japan, the Head of AFS International, the Japanese Vice Foreign Minister, who promised to work hard to get a new JENESYS scheme. There were also speeches by a couple of the students from Tohoku, of their struggle to get back on their feet following the disaster, and how they were happy so many students from across the world had come to Japan despite the devastation. Good sorts, they were.



The conclusion of the festival came in the form of an AFS alumni. She was a year AFS student in Japan, and went on to study at Kyoto university, and now is a pop star in her native Laos. With her leading, we sung the AFS song (I didn't know we had an AFS song until the day before) This was filmed and recorded, and will be apparently sent around the world as a gesture of Peace. (The Japanese are quite into all of that stuff). Unfortunately I couldn't get a youtube video of sufficent quality (and in English) of the song, but I thought we did quite well.



Following the festival, my Chapter went to a restaurant for dinner, where once again, I had dessert first, it really is more fun that way. All in all, the festival was a bit of fun, saw more AFSers I haven't seen since August, some of whom came from Hokkaido and Osaka, quite a distance for a couple of days!


Sunday was equally filled, for several months prior, I had said yes to an offer of going to a concert of Beethoven's 9th Symphony in the Suntory Hall in Tokyo. Son donning my best Classical Music garb, I went to Tokyo with Midori and some workmates, where for 75 minutes we immersed ourselves in a bit of culture. Couldn't take any photos inside, but this is what the Suntory Hall looks like, credit to whoever took it and all that. The acoustics were very good!


Me in my best Classical Music Garb


We sat at the bottom, slightly to the left, no more than 10 rows from the front, so we were right in there. I certainly didn't come to Japan thinking I'd be seeing a Beethoven recitatl, but well worth it, was a good experience, plus I can now say I've been to one.


The final week of school was a short one, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday normal, Thursday dedicated to cleaning the school and then the farewell assembly, with school finishing at 11.30. Mon, Tues and Weds were normal, but the final special Japanese class of 2011 was quite something, as well as it being Mari's last one at Tsurumine, our teachers also got us a couple of Christmas presents, and we spent the class playing games and eating lollies.


Following the cleaning of the school on Thursday morning, had the final assembly of the year, had to give another speech to the school, building on my previous speech which got everyone laughing, I decided to get an interactive aspect, dividing everyone into 4 teams, and playing a few games with them, got much more laughter, so I take that as a success.

Then was Mari's farewell party, had a group of our classmates plus ourselves in the AV room, lots of junk food, some speeches etc, was pretty good.



Thursday afternoon was spent at home, wrapping presents and watching How I Met Your Mother while eating chocolate. A productive afternoon that was.

Yesterday, Friday the 23rd of December, was Emperor Hirohito of Japan's 78th birthday. A national holiday in Japan, my classmate Ginga and I had been planning to go to Yokohama for the day. National holidays in Japan only mean that banks and some offices close, but for most, it's business as usual. I don't think there are any days where everything shuts down, such is the Japanese work ethic. Going through plenty of places in Yokohama, bought myself a Christmas present, (which will be revealed at some point), and took a bazillion photos.



Went arcading, shot up some baddies

A highlight for me was definitely found at Landmark Plaza, a store that I've visited in both Tokyo and Nagoya during my previous travels to Japan, and that is The Pokemon Centre! Hellishly busy due to Christmas rush, I got some photos and a free Pikachu hat as a Christmas present, nearly wept.



'twas marvellous!



As we were walking to the waterfront, we were drawn to a building with a giant glowing blue Christmas tree


Turns out we had stumbled across Nissan World HQ, and that they were celebrating 55 years of Nissan Skyline. So they had all the various Skyline models, and were photographing people with a sign saying 'Congratulations Skyline!' in front of their favorite model. Not really a car person, but if they float your boat, well, there were lots of cars in that building, not a lot else I can say. Except I'll be on the Japanese Nissan Website from March :) Hot damn I'm famous!


Then we went to the Yokohama waterfront, Cosmo land, a themepark in the middle of the city, and just continued meandering.




Rockin' it out in Landmark Plaza


Getting my zombie on
COSMO LAND


People got on this ride, but they never got off. They just disappeared.


I've been to a museum dedicated to the humble cup noodle.


Cosmo land at night


View of Yokohama Harbor and Cosmo land from the top of the Landmark Tower



They had a dress up thing at the top of the Landmark Tower, HAD to try it out. Think it's from a Japanese cartoon show.







After Midori's friends Christmas party, with all my Christmas garb thus far, plus the NZ flag.

Today is the day that happens once a year, the time when you can open the last window on your advent calender. This one is particularly good in that the last window is twice as big as the normal ones, looking forward to opening that baby up!


So it's Christmas tomorrow, not much planned as it's just a normal day for most, will be skyping family etc, surprising my family with a myriad of Christmas related stuff in afternoon (If Midori, Akira, Tomo or Mamoru are able to read and understand any of this-SURPRISE) Boxing Day will be more exciting, however, headed off to Kyoto, and then Hiroshima! My Christmas present of sorts.

Making a bit of a tangent here, but week before last, when the 2 Weekers came to Tsurumine for a day, after school they did Ikebana (traditional Japanese flower arranging) and I tagged along. Here are the results, not bad I think for someone who doesn't aspire to be a florist.


I should become pro at this.



But that's all for now, the next blog will be of Christmas itself and about my journeys to Kyoto and Hiroshima, so look for that just before the new year.


Wishing you all a safe and Merry Christmas, wherever you are in the world, and Sayonara for now from Under the Kanagawan Sun!


Toroi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment